ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tacit assumptions?

  • To: tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tacit assumptions?
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:06:05 -0400

On 4/17/10 7:06 PM, Thomas Barrett - EnCirca wrote:
>> Aren't we forgetting something?...
>
> The Single Registrant category of registries is pretty diverse and has
> been back-burnered for now....right?
> None of these private namespace elephants incur the cost of the ICANN
> oversight today, including rights protection mechanisms, whois, data
> escrow, registrar support, taxes..
>
> Does any one want to discuss, or speculate, how these new elephantine
> entrants will play on the same ICANN field without trampling everybody
> else?

Why yes, but not as a pre-condition for answering the policy question
for applications we know exist, and for types that are as well defined
as three iterations through the DAG Staff, Community, and Public
Comments has provided.

In Working Group C, circa 1999, I mentioned Microsoft as a potential
domain-bundled-with-other-licensed-products possibility.

A separate mailing list is my only pre-condition. Just because we have
no material interest in a "single registrant" type doesn't mean we've
not put a lot of thought into the issues.

Eric