ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tacit assumptions on SR?

  • To: tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tacit assumptions on SR?
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:45:37 -0700

Tom,

Interesting question.   Let me take a shot at it.

First, let's make sure we're in synch with definitions:

Single Registrant (SR)  TLD:     Means the registry is the registrant for every
second level name.   I see two main types of SR.  The first I call Single
Registrant Single User (SRSU).  An example might be eBay registering names
where eBay Inc. controls all website/ email content for the names  (e.g.
books.ebay, cars.ebay, careers.ebay, investors.ebay, whatsnewat.ebay).     The
other type I call Single Registrant Multiple User (SRMU).  With SRMU eBay would
still be the registrant,  but it would provide the names to other parties such
as employees, members or users  (e.g. tombarrett.ebay).

Para 2.6 of the DAG's registry contract allows a registry to register second
level names only to itself -- and so it allows both SRSU and SRMU TLDs.  I'm
not talking about HOW the registry would register the names.  Rather, I'm
saying it permits SRs to exist  (we'll talk shortly about how the names can be
registered).    As the registrant for all names the SR registry would, of
course, assume rights and responsibilities for every name  (e.g. trademark
infringement,  malicious activity).

I've talked with a couple of dozen brands.  None plan to apply for a SRMU TLD.
A couple plan to apply for a SRSU.   The brands I've talked with are reluctant
to operate a SRMU due to liability issues, as well as the potential for
dilution of their brand.   However,  this doesn't mean there aren't SRMUs out
there.

Vertical Integration:    This means the registry entity is also accredited as a
registrar for the TLD.    The registry entity could either sign two contracts
with ICANN (one for registry and one for registrar) or we could spend a few
months work and try to merge the contracts into one (specifically for SRs).
The current DAG does not permit the registry entity to sign a registrar
contract.  This is not so much because of cross ownership constraints,  but
because the way ICANN contractual relationships are structured it's cleaner to
have one corporate entity as the registry and a separate corporate entity as
the registrar.

Now to the question at hand - what cross ownership and VI rules should we allow
for SRs?

SRSU.   If you're an SRSU I don't think it matters.   You'd set a policy that
says all names are to be registered to the registry.   Regardless of cross
ownership rules you'd find an unaffiliated registrar to register the names (for
a low mark-up per name) -- and you're in business.      For example,   if eBay
wants a couple of thousand SRSU names registered in .EBAY they could do it
through one of the hundreds of existing registrars.  The mark-up cost to ebay
from using that registrar would be less than the cost of eBay setting up their
own registrar.     I can think of only two reasons why the SRSU Registry might
want to have its own registrar:  (1)  it intends to register a very large
number of names (hundreds of thousands); or (2)  it wants to be the registrar
of record for the names (but as most brands currently aren't the registrar for
their existing names, e.g. ebay.com,  this is probably not a compelling reason).

SRMU.   As these names are provided to other parties (employees, members,
customers, etc) they compete with other TLDs.  Given this, I think SRMU
registries should operate under the same rules we decide for other TLDs -
whatever those end up being.  To do otherwise would create an uneven playing
field.   If SRMUs out-compete other types of TLDs, so be it.   It means they've
better satisfied consumer needs - which is what the new TLD process is about.

In summary:

A.   SRSU TLDs probably don't need their own registrar -  unless they plan to
register a very large number of names;  and

B.   I dont think we need a separate rule set for SRMU TLDs.

Comments welcome.

RT