ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] .ROYAL prezzo

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] .ROYAL prezzo
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:09:36 -0700

Phil B,

I wanted to follow up on the comments I made during your presentation today,
because I didn't do a good job explaining myself -- and I think it's
important these concepts are well understood by everyone in the WG.

In a couple of places you mingled (you may have even co-mingled) the ideas of:
1) Equivalent Registrar Access;  and (2)  Cross Ownership.

Equivalent Registrar Access is a long standing principle (it has been in all
TLD contracts so far) that says the registry will:

a.  make its TLD available to all interested registrars who meet the registry's
requirements; and
b.  treat those registrars on a non-discriminatory basis; and
c.  sell names only through those registrars

This doesn't mean you would have to sell .ROYAL through every registrar that
shows up.  You could set reasonable requirements associated with your TLD and
only do business with registrars who  comply   (just as .MOBI and others do
today).

Equivalent Registrar Access is behind the GNSO's New gTLD Implementation
Recommendation 19 which says  "Registries must use only ICANN accredited
registrars in registering domain names and may not discriminate among such
accredited registrars".      The Nairobi Board resolution (that initiated this
WG)  did not raise the issue of Equivalent Registrar Access,  though it has
been discussed in the WG - notably in the context of Single Registrant Single
User TLDs.

Cross Ownership is the extent of mutual ownership (and/or control) permitted
between registries and registrars (as well as any holding companies).    At
it's simplest level it asks  - Can your .ROYAL registry also own a registrar
company that sells .ROYAL names?  ICANN Registry contracts have historically
varied on this issue of Cross Ownership, though most currently limit it to 15%.

The two concepts aren't exclusive though.   We could permit 100% Cross
Ownership but still require Equivalent Registrar Access,  which might mean 10
registrars meet your requirements to sell .ROYAL names and you (the registry)
happen to own one of those registrars.  Equivalent Registrar Access would mean
your registry couldn't favour its own registrar (if it did so it would be in
breach of its registry contract).

To throw in a third concept that's being discussed (let's call it Strict
Separation) some proposals, such as PIR's, take an even tougher line on
Equivalent Registrar Access.  Those proposals require, in addition to the
contractual prohibition on discrimination, a strict operational and financial
separation of registry company and registrar company assets, as well as audits.

Wanted to make sure all that is clear.    Apologize to  WG members who are
already very familiar with this,  but I suspect there are some in the WG who
are not.

RT