ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO

  • To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:56:30 +0200

Hi Alan
I think that the issue for some of us is that those proposing a specific change from what is working now have the onus of demonstrating that it will not have a negative impact of the public interest.
I think there are many successful examples out there where just this can be shown. Many ccTLD registries operate their own subsidiary registrars while still working within the registry-registrar model. Take SE-Direct, the fully owned direct registrar if IIS, offering direct registrations to registrants, but also operating under the registrar model. Similar models can be found in many successful ccTLDs. DENIC is operating DenicDirect. NIC.AT allow direct registrations in its own TLDs. SWITCH does too for .CH. None of them restrict registrar access or can be said to act contrary to public interests.

I believe these examples show that full integration can work and even contribute to the success of the TLD and be to the benefit of both registrars and the consumer. Negative public impact needs to be demonstrated as well if the agument is made against these models.
You propose an either/or here. Use international registrars or create a registrar yourself. But some of the proposals allow for another alternative - the registry can act as a registrar for its own TLD (within specific limitations).
Actually, I propose an either/and not an either/or, i.e. the opportunity for the registry to act as registrar for its own TLD as well as using international registrars. It is never guaranteed that other registrars will want to pick up a new TLD so a registry should be able to do this through its own registrar entity. The more registrars pick up a TLD, the more successful it can become. I believe that it is not in the best interest of a registry (excepting SRSUs) to artificially limit registrar access to its TLD.

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
66482 Zweibrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 85
Fax.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 61
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede
Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist
unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per
E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
DE-66482 Zweibruecken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 85
Fax.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 61
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.