ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO

  • To: <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO
  • From: "Phil Buckingham" <pjbuckingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:30:46 +0100

Volker,

Re your first paragraph. Like Stephane , I agree with your premise .I also
totally agree with Jeff  "it is the degree of control "  and I also agree
with  Alan - if we change the 15% what would be the impact on the "public
interest." . We need to define both.

As I tried to put across in my proposal on Monday ( and failed hopelessly ,
I feel) lets look at the business case scenario here. I live in Wiltshire
( where you ask ?) . Say, my limited company  currently is  an ICANN
accredited registrar, called VeryverycheapdomainsLtd. I, through
DotWiltshireRegistryLtd  own only 10% of the company , in terms of shares.
But I control  that company as its MD, CEO , by having the majority of the
votes So I can "control"/ run the business as I want..  . I would like to
apply for a .wiltshire. It will cost me $500,000 ( application fee + backend
set up costs) . I have raised all the finance , am the sole director of the
UK limited company ( perfectly legal in UK ) and I control all Board
decisions.  VeryverycheapdomainsLtd has a 14.9% stake in
DotWiltshireRegistryLtd. UncleTom has the other 85.1% but no voting rights .

The registry could not come to any agreement with any other registrars . An
accredited registrar in LA was interested because Nicholas Cage,who lived at
Wiltshire Boulevard was interested in cage.wiltshire . He wanted to pay
$1M - but changed his mind.

The registrar then decided to sell every .wiltshire at 10p . There was a
huge take up from families living in Wiltshire  because the registrar said
it would donate all profits to a local school. Is this in the public
interest ?

or

The registrar  decide to sell only 2 .wiltshire  to Uncle Tom and Auntie May
for £1m each . I, the director pays a dividend of  £1.5M and goes and buys
yacht. I close the registry. Is this also in the public interest ?

These transactions have absolutely no bearing on the selling price of  say a
.london , .nyc . but could affect the price of  a .bath ( the main city in
the county of Wiltshire).

So in conclusion - A thought..... Apply a top down structure as in a
vertical group of companies .

1 Get rid of all cross ownership at any level . Registrars cannot own /
control/ have "rights" in  any registries.
2. However a  registry can "own" up to 25% of a  registrar . This is the
percentage for UK companies where it is felt Board level  control ( of
decisions) takes place. Ensure that only 40% the Board make up of the
registry is from the registrar company and voting shares are structured the
same way.
3. Apply the same rules . A registrant can own up to 25% of a registrar.
4 All accreditated registrars should be allowed to sell names for any
registry, except where a registry is designated a SRSU .

Thoughts .

regards

Phil Buckingham

----- Original Message ----- From: "Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>