ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10]

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10]
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:07:03 -0400

Eric:

Our charter should not be determining the utility or necessity of an entity
competing in a marketplace.  If an affiliate of the .foo registry wants to sell
.com, .org, or .cat names, hosting products, SSL certificates, etc. -- who
cares?  That is a business decision for that registry.  The marketplace will
determine whether there is utility or necessity in that decision.  If it
doesn't harm competition or hurt the public interest, we have no business
meddling.

Thanks.

Jon