ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] An argument for membership based SRMU registration.

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] An argument for membership based SRMU registration.
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:18:56 -0400

Hi,

I want to address this issue separately from any of the proposals since I think
the issue goes across several issues and proposals.

I admit that the relationship between a Single Registrant and their employees
provides a better bright line criteria then a general notion of membership.
Like the rest of you I know of membership organizations (like the private club
downstairs from my sister's apartment in NYC) that allows for purchase of
membership at the time of admission.  And this would certainly allow for easy
gaming (theory: all things are gameable but we must avoid easy gaming to the
maximum extent possible)

In the GNSO Recommendations, Implementation guideline P (refers to objections
and those with standing to make them) defines the notion of:

g) formal existence – formal existence may be demonstrated by appropriate
public registration, public historical evidence, validation by a government,
intergovernmental organization, international treaty organization or similar.

I suggest that a similar notion of existing membership institution could be
crafted to prevent easy gaming but to still allow the notion of SRMU to apply
beyond the limit of businesses and employment.

thanks

a.