ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] RE: CBUC Position Statement on VI

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: CBUC Position Statement on VI
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:18:31 -0700

Hi Berry,

Thanks for forwarding the BC position on VI/CO. I do have one question on your
statement and maybe you could give some insight into the internal discussion of
the BC and the thought process.

Given the uncertainty of the merits of the arguments either way the BC believes
that the burden of proof must lie with the proponents of change. Those who
favour change must demonstrate:
a) that the competitive benefits outlined above no longer apply and
b) that there will be new competitive benefits and no significant adverse
effects as a result of such change.

If there is a belief that we must maintain strict separation how would the
existing players be able to demonstrate the above if they are not able due to
strict separation? Perhaps you could explain this on the call today

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus