ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] assistance needed -- needs statements

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] assistance needed -- needs statements
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:51:00 -0500

i was reflecting about something we did in the broadband negotiations -- and
thinking that it might be useful for us as well.

one of the things we did early on was to describe what our constituents needed,
without specifying how those needs would be met.  this was really helpful later
on when we were down to negotiating specific solutions -- because we could
remember back to those earlier broader discussions and figure out creative ways
to get those conflicting needs met.

here are a few (very broad) examples...

-- the general form is [constituency/company/person] needs [something] in order
to [do something]

-- broadband consumers need very high speeds in order to do lots of things (a
big list would follow -- educate students, deliver advanced medical
applications, conduct business, etc. etc.)

-- rural people need access to broadband in order to participate as equals in
the world-wide Internet

-- carriers and providers need a clear, stable path to making a return on the
investments they make in facilities

-- municipalities and other units of government need a way to intervene when
the market can't support broadband facilities in their location

-- etc. etc...

i think it might be very useful for us to try to develop a similar list --
short statements describing what people need from a deal.  many of you have
already included statements like that in proposals and emails, but it would
help me (and hopefully you) to have them in one pile under this thread.

please give it a try here for the rest of the work-week -- i'll summarize the
results and roll them back out to you before our next call on Monday.  if it
seems productive, we might devote 15 minutes of call time to expanding the list
that we've started.

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109