ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] chat history from the call last Thursday

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] chat history from the call last Thursday
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 13:33:19 -0500

ken stubbs: on music hold mikey plays a mean piano...
Sébastien: I am calling back after cut
Jeffrey Eckhaus: I believe $400K for Palo Alto
Berry Cobb: Is this a VI meeting?
Jothan Frakes: Yes Berry
ken stubbs: pardon my rant. !!.
Jothan Frakes: actually really appreciated it ken
Jothan Frakes: important clarification
ken stubbs: are we having a call on monday ?
helen laverty: agree plus makes it more interesting!
Jothan Frakes: ha, helen brought a bowl of popcorn to share
Ron: Yes, Ken, a call is planned
ken stubbs: thx
Ron: @ Alan +1
ken stubbs: eckhaus +1
Jeffrey Eckhaus: The issue is as an exception to what?
Jeffrey Eckhaus: we do not know the standard yet to decide on an exception
jon Nevett: An exception to what??
Scott Austin: exception to prohibitions against cross ownership
jon Nevett: How can we talk about the exceptions prior to the rule?
ken stubbs: nevitt +1`
Berry Cobb: The rule is 0 CO, per board resolution.  Yes?
Berry Cobb: Single Registrant required to bound to RAA and only distribute 2nd
level domains internallly
Scott Austin: cobb +1 correct on the rule - status quo
Jothan Frakes: mihgt be good for the sake of the recording to call out the
result number as a percentage
jon Nevett:  Berry, if we go with the Board resolutions, there will be NO
exceptions.  ''Resolved (2010.03.12.17), within the context of the new gTLD
process, there will be strict separation of entities offering registry services
and those acting as registrars. No co-ownership will be allowed.''
Berry Cobb: @ JN, correct, but is it not possible that outcomes from this WG
could influence the language of that rule?
Jothan Frakes: mikey can you state the percentages for the recording?
Scott Austin: the question was not if there's a rule there can be no
exceptions, the question was what is the rule that exception is taken from..
jon Nevett: Berry, Of course, that is what we are doing -- but let's not point
to the Board resolution when it works for us and not when it doesn't
avri: so it is not that we couldn't it is just that we shouldn't.  i can accept
that.
Alan Greenberg: But if we refuse to discuss it, we ARE deciding on zero.
Ron: What are we voting on specifically?
Ron: Thanks!
Jothan Frakes: mikey can you state the percentage for the call please
Berry Cobb: of what looks like 19 possible votes
Jothan Frakes: that answers avri's question :)
Jothan Frakes: +1 avri , alan
Jothan Frakes: +1 to ken , folks get challenged on their vote or the direction
they voted
Jothan Frakes: or might hesitate
Jothan Frakes: or not vote
avri: of course, like in the the US decsion on DADT, the decsion can be
contitngent on a possible future action.  for example i could accept a certain
percentage as long as i knew that this was not the end of the story - being
more dedidcated to one size doesn't fit all then i would be to any number
jeff neuman: WHy are we talking about JUST ownership
jeff neuman: The Issue is control
Roberto: agree, nothing should be taken out of the pile, but this discussion is
important to have a hint on what effort must be put in to reach consensus on
what
Sivasubramanian M: Jeff, neither ownership nor control is the issue, but the
issues are about the good or harm that can result out of a restrained /
unrestained cross ownership
Sivasubramanian M: Not only 'harms' but also ennumerate the possible 'good
things' about VI
jeff neuman: The harms have been described so many times
jeff neuman: People need to go back to the record
jeff neuman: which has been established for many months now
jeff neuman: I have sent 4 times the same e-mail that documents the comments