ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 16:39:51 -0500

ahhhh.

Tim, i think you and i have been talking past each other -- my apologies.  i
was thinking that you had picked the 13th out of the air as a mechanism to
self-impose more pressure to reach agreement.  i was not aware of the rule that
Kristina (and you, i bet) are working off of.

i'm quite in favor of Kristina's approach to seek a motion like this, because i
foresee the possibility that the substance of our deal may be a moving target
right up to the Brussels GNSO meeting on Sunday and i think we need the wiggle
room.

i'll also paste your other reply in here, so we can keep this all in one
thread...

On Jun 4, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> It should include background on why the WG exists and what it has been
> tasked to do.
> It should have some discussion about how we got to whereever we get.
> It should include description/discussion as to how constituency
> statements were considered/used.
> It should include discussion of what has been done with regard to
> fulfilling the charter objectives.
>
> This is a formal PDP. In order for the Board to consider anything we
> produce, it must first pass Council. Personally, I don't see what you
> are proposing as anything the Council could officially act on, but I
> would imagine that is not the intent at this stage.
>
> At the least, I would think we would want this to be considered the WG's
> initial report and post it for public comment. The report should have
> enough background to explain it to those not as well versed in what the
> WG is all about, and enough information for readers to understand the
> proposals, tables, etc. and how they came about.
>
> Content free can often be seen as substance free.

i don't disagree with getting started on this -- let me ping the staff folks
and see whether they can get going on a draft of some of these sections.

mikey

On Jun 4, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Rosette, Kristina wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I realize this is not entirely "responsive" to your question, but there
> may be another way . . ..
>
> I have *not* checked the relevant GNSO procedural rules.  With that
> disclaimer, would the WG be supportive of a Council motion that would be
> voted on in Brussels that would, for purposes of the specific vertical
> integration issue and given the extraordinary circumstances, suspend the
> 10-day rule?  If the Council passes the motion, that would enable it to
> discuss the issue and whatever documents emerge by Brussels.
>
> If there is support in the WG, I would be willing to propose the motion.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com