ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Caution about results from Original Poll

• To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Caution about results from Original Poll
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:09:09 -0400

For someone who in your next message supports not mis-characterizing people, you may want to note that my message said "without prior concrete agreement of competition authorities". If you have such agreement, even if not concrete, please do share it with us.

Alan

At 16/06/2010 07:05 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
We have spoken to competition authorities in the U.S. and Europe. Just today, I spoke with the Competition Committee of Turkey, at the OECD meeting in Paris. They liked the CAM proposal. They referred to a specific division of their authority that focuses on Internet, ICT related issues. The implementation problems are figments of your imagination, Alan. But I love the way someone with no background in regulatory economics can dismiss something as non-implementable. Shows a certain self-confidence. Good on ya.
--MM

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:40 PM
To: 'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Caution about results from Original Poll

I have a different view of the first poll. Several of the options, while they may be philosophically attractive to respondents, in my view, are not particularly implementable (and I know that some will disagree with this view).

There are three:

- Board motion. In "interpreting" the Board motion, staff made a number of significant changes which presumably change it from a philosophical concept to something they feel can be implemented. I have to accept that the Board has tacitly approved of these. So having people vote on whether the Board motion is a preferred choice is moot.

- CAM. For reasons I and others have given many times, without prior concrete agreement of competition authorities in at least the prime areas of where gTLDs will be homed and offered, we have no knowledge of whether this can be implemented. And that is before my (and others) concern about how the different authorities will interpret the scope of the market.

- Free Trade. Siva, the proposer of this model, has agreed that it requires prior negotiation to be concluded to address the harms and remedies. Some might question that this is not likely possible, but assuming it is, I believe that there is NO chance that such negotiations could be concluded in time to make the final Applicant Guidebook (generally accepted as August/September at the latest if the AG is to be published this calendar year).

It is too late to re-run the poll, and I would not support it in any case, but it is really time that we focus on what goes into the AG, and not what we want for the longer term.

From my position, I have a lot of "prefers" (and they include some level of vertical integration for both special cases and even general gTLDs with sufficient controls and constraints), but I am not at all optimistic that we can satisfy all of them prior to AG publication, and I am determined that we not make short term decisions that de facto take options off the table for the longer-term discussions.

Alan

At 16/06/2010 09:58 AM, Neuman, Jeff wrote:
All,

I do believe the first poll on the proposals was in fact useful and a really good exercise. And I am not just saying that because the JN2 proposal got the most ?yes? votes. My caution, however, is that some are now describing the ?Free Trade? proposal as the one that most people support because of the number of people that either said ?yes? or ?can live with.? I do not believe that view is entirely accurate. This is because both the JN2 proposal and the RACK+ proposal both dealt with limitations on ownership/control. People were divided on how exactly to limit ownership/control, but not on the concept of whether to apply restrictions.

The analogy I use is my oldest daughter?s birthday party this year where the kids had a choice of ?Mixed Fruit?, ?Chocolate Ice Cream? or ?Vanilla Ice Cream?. 7 kids (surprisingly) chose mixed fruit, 6 kids chose chocolate ice cream and 6 kids chose ?Vanilla Ice Cream?. So of the 19 kids at the party, more of them chose Fruit than any other choice, so that would be a true statement. However, it would also be true that more kids choice ?Ice Cream? in general instead of fruit.

Here we have the same type of thing. Taken one way, more people chose the Free Trade Proposal than chose RACK. But, looked at a different way, more people chose to apply limits on cross ownership/control than chose Free Trade.

We just need to remember the ice cream/mixed fruit analogy going forward.

P.S. Never have a party with 19 screaming 5 year olds and offer them ice cream?.very messy and the sugar high afterwards is a killer J

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Law & Policy
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772 Mobile: +1.202.549.5079 Fax: +1.703.738.7965 / jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx> / www.neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz/>

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy