ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 00:05:47 +0200

My personal opinion is that sTLDs are indeed a subset of gTLDs, because
historically the distinction has been only between ccTLDs (based on
ISO-3166) and gTLDs (everything else).
Things might well change in the future, also for the dilemma of how to
characterize non-ASCII-TLDs. The point is not trivial, as there is no
equivalent of the ISO-3166 table for IDNs.
Back to SRSU, I think that TLDs like .aero, .post, .museum, are pretty close
to this model. If my memory is not completely gone, .aero (originally .air)
and .museum were part of the 2000 run, where no distinction was made yet
between sTLDs and others, while .post was rejected in 2000, but had a second
chance in the sTLD round.
So, you are right, I prefer in this case to talk about "TLD" and not "gTLD",
but if forced to qualify my statement, I go for SRSU being within the gTLD
family (as the only other family in the ASCII world is ccTLD).
And, of course, the rest of the world is coming soon to ruin the perfect
mathematical model we have created, as for IDNs this distinction might be
blurred to say the least.
Incidentally, let me play again that broken record that sounds like the
rules we are proposing have to work in the non-ASCII world as well.

Funny, it brings me back to my old days of student and researcher in Maths,
when discussing non-euclidean geometries...;>)
It will be interesting to see how we, culturally raised in an euclidean
ASCII space, deal with riemannian IDN spaces.

Cheers,
Roberto

  _____