ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:30:45 +0200

Hi Robert,

I agree with your points, but would add another couple of points I think of as important:

- a name cannot be made available for use by another beneficiary (no dotFacebook as SRSU), i.e. the content is fully controlled by the registry. - a narrowly defined legal entity as registry, i.e. no clubs, membership organizations (this should be phrased to exclude all pseudo-SRSU applicants.

We need to make sure that equal and exclusive access of registras shall not be circumventable by SRSU registries that are too widely defined.

Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing vertical integration for a TLD that has a single registry and a single user (the typical case being a "brand" TLD, for internal use only)?

    * There should not be "sales" of SLDs, the names under the TLD are
      distributed internally based on declared criteria.
    * There is no "secondary market", i.e. a name cannot be "passed"
      to another beneficiary. Actually, the name remains always under
      full control of the registry.

The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements, they will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate without giving equal access to all registrars.

There might be interesting questions, like:

    * Will they be allowed to use the services of one registrar,
      selected by them, or not?

I will go with a "Yes" in this regard, but would tend to replace "allowed" by "required".

Volker Greimann