ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: "'Jeff Eckhaus'" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:34:57 -0400

Let me express complete solidarity with Jeff E's sentiment here. I have noticed
that the concept of "harms" and "gaming" have become almost totally detached
from any realistic assessment of actual dangers to consumers and from any
proportionality calculation related to the costs of imposing restrictions
designed to prevent these hypothetical concerns. This is why the original CAM
model proposed a market power test. Unless you can show that the market would
be distorted or consumers held captive by these tactics, they are largely
irrelevant. Since I see no movement toward compromise among key members of this
group, I suppose I should just stick with CAM.3 and make the case for it to the
Board and GAC.

--MM