ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:20:09 -0700

I've heard comments that some WG proposals would exclude registrars from
participating in the registry business.  Having re-read the DAG language I
wanted to push back on that notion -- and stimulate some discussion on the
topic.

I've thought for some time now the Staff and Board have become very
sophisticated in their understanding of the cross-ownership issue.   Given
this, I think the DAG 4 language is very carefully worded so that it does not
place limits on 'ownership' of a registry by a registrar.  Rather,  it places
limits on 'beneficial ownership',  which is more akin to limits on control.

As I review the DAG language it seems clear a registrar could own as much of a
registry as it wanted,  and enjoy any operating profits from that registry, as
long as its 'beneficial ownership' was  limited.  Beneficial ownership includes
voting rights or the ability to sell shares.     If the DAG had meant to place
limits purely on ownership I think it would have used the term "ownership" -
and not the more specific concept of "beneficial ownership".

If the DAG language is applied then none of the proposals before this WG (e.g.
RACK+)  would exclude registrars from owning registries.  Rather, it would
prevent those registrars from having beneficial ownership beyond 15%.    As
such I dont think registrars are excluded from becoming registries.  I just
think they are excluded from having control.

Comments welcome.

RT