ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Graham Chynoweth <gchynoweth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:17:12 -0400 (EDT)

Jothan,

I have to concur with Volker here.  The discussed exception is most certainly
not the same thing as 100% cross ownership because 'it can be gamed' (in some
unspecified way).  Taking that position is like saying day is the same as night
because people can close their eyes and make the sun go away.  IMHO, that
position just doesn't make any sense at all.

I also don't think the argument that we should be concerned about 'GoDaddy
going after .web just so they can bury it' holds any water, and even if it did,
it I don't see it as good reason to argue against the exception.  First, this
argument relies upon the very 'DNS 1.0' assumption that there is a single TLD
that will dominate and that every registrant needs to have access to.  This
makes zero sense on a going forward basis because no one has any idea, in
advance, which TLDs will be the 'it' TLDs (if there even is an 'it' TLD in the
.com sense in the nTLD space).  Additionally, even if .web were really 'it',
there will be plenty of strings that people could turn to to get what they need
from the gTLD (in the early days, there wasn't a good alternative to .com).
Further, even if this argument was theoretically sound, preventing a class of
applicants from applying because there is a *chance* that one of that class
*might* submit a application for a TLD they didn't really want to 'succeed'
(whatever that means) baselessly and, IMHO, improperly punishes that class.  To
put it in more colloquial terms - just because a single kid might pee in the
pool, doesn't mean that all kids should be prevented from swimming.

Thanks,
Gray

Graham H. Chynoweth
General Counsel & VP, Business Operations
Dynamic Network Services, Inc.
1230 Elm Street, 5th Floor
Manchester, NH 03101
(p) +1.603.296.1515
(e) gchynoweth@xxxxxxx
(w) http://www.dyn.com

Confidentiality Statement

Privileged and Confidential. The information contained in this electronic
message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify Dynamic Network Services,
Inc. immediately at +1.603.668.4998 or reply to gchynoweth@xxxxxxx and destroy
all copies of this message and any attachments. This message is not intended as
an electronic signature.