ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] vertical relationships in the domain name mkt

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] vertical relationships in the domain name mkt
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:40:55 -0400

Hi,

> Luxury cars and watches are just 2 examples.

While most do go through dealers because they choose too (though in the US most
are franchises and i do not know the control/cross-ownership conditions) - they
are not required to do so by some regulator, semi-regualator or even industry
self regulation group.

I think Fred was right about the value of registrars for the consumer, and i
wonder if i would buy a name from a registry because of the comfort of using a
Rr.  (Though as someone who is the midst of moving names from one registrar to
another i can tell you it ain't easy).  Still as a registrant, i do value many
of the services i get from Rrs.  And I like the idea of Rrs being regulated.

> Apple computers is another.

One can buy them elsewhere, e.g. amazon and best buy

a.