ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:08:22 -0700

Hi Mike-

>>  [It] is *not* in the public interest

>>if GoDaddy (or Key-Systems or swap in any other

>>respected registrar) is *not* able to sell .WEB names

>Can you further explain this premise?

Maybe the most clear way to explain is that I believe it is "not in the
public interest" to have a registrar excluded entirely from offering the TLD
they are operating a registry for.   From the perspective of the domain
registrant, limited availability is not helpful to making access to being a
registrant or managing a name or having the ability to transfer a domain to
a different registrar.
 The registrant's experience needs to have some consideration in all this
discussion of how we divide up percentages and control and what not.
 Availability = good.

>I think it very well might be in the public interest, since the public must
pay the registrar a markup, but would not >need to pay that markup if they
buy direct from the registry.

On your second point, I would not want to suggest pricing for a scenario
like you describe.  I look at Nominet with and recognize that they have in
place a good model for the preservation of channel, where they charge
significantly higher prices than their wholesalers.  This offsets the
additional costs which exist to support registrants en masse (vs supporting
a smaller number of wholesale consumers and letting them support the
registrants).

I do recognize that the wholesale cost spread between registry and and
registrar/retail is present, yet that markup supplements increased
infrastructure costs (ie customer support, IT, legal, etc.) that need to
factor in to the argument.

While the argument that some registrars that currently operate might have
such an infrastructure, there are many new registrars that might be solely
created for the purpose of a specific TLD or class of TLDs in the new TLD
round.  These participants would be at a  disadvantage if there was not a
margin present to fund the larger staffing and resource needs that
supporting end-user registrants requires vs supporting only wholesale.

>Also, if distribution is restricted to registrants who are

>likely (or even required)

>to use the names, rather than warehouse them, that would also benefit

>the public interest.
That seems to be out of scope with VI in my opinion, but it could be
stitched into the registry application.  I understand your thoughts on this.

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes
+1.206-355-0230 tel
+1.206-201-6881 fax