ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:49:08 -0400

Hi,

I don't believe I am being misdirected by it.

I have always felt that the individual advocacy organization, charities,
service organization or NGO should be able to have a gTLD and control its own
fate without the need to pay registrars for the privilege.

While I am a little leery of restricting it to trademark owners, I have become
aware that many NGOs, advocacy, charity/benevolent groups and the like have
taken to protecting their brands for their own reasons (for example fund
raising).  While it is taking me a while to really grok that there is a
beneficial side to marking words, I have come to understand that this mechanism
can serve the NCSG membership just as it serves business interests.  Just as I
learned years ago that patents sometime serve indigenous people who want to
keep their natural medicines from being ripped off.  There are two sides to the
exploitation of the trademark system.

The reason they should get exceptions, though I am more and more hating the
notion that we are restricting this to an exception basis, if someone is
keeping the registration in house (for some definition of in-house), there is
no reason they should be forced to buy an outside service to do so.

As far a registrars go, if you provide a useful service, most Rys will avail
themselves of it and most registrants will expect it. I do not see any reason
to force them to buy your services.

a.