ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] CONSENSUS POLL OPEN -- please complete it before our call on Thursday

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] CONSENSUS POLL OPEN -- please complete it before our call on Thursday
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:29:06 -0400

Jeff:

Correct -- the BRU1 proposal did not have strong consensus of that group on
that point (probably a 60/40 split in favor in Brussels).  That is clear in the
poll.

I do not support BRU2's idea of competition regarding the RSP issue.  It says
to a registrar or their affiliate that they could be an RSP, but that an
important distribution outlet (their related registrar) can't sell the names at
all.  This unfairly would favor the incumbents.  For example, if an independent
registry operator decided to do an RFP for a back-end provider and they want to
maximize sales of their names, it would be tough for them to pick a provider
that restricts distribution vs. one that would have no restrictions at all.
Couple that with the incumbents advantage already that they have a track record
in the RSP marketplace, I don't see that as fair competition.  The incumbents
would be competing against "hobbled" RSPs.  To me, BRU2 is essentially the same
as a ban of registrars or their affiliates from participating in the back-end
market at all and a big departure from JN2.

Thanks.

Jon