ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10]
  • From: Amadeu Abril i Abril <Amadeu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:07:50 +0200

Mikey, Roberto and all,

Here is a SMS-like summary of CORE's position on the current proposals and our
preferred solution, in order to be taken into account for Section 6  of the
Report:

* CORE supports the RACK+ proposal as the basic rule (ie 15% cross
control/ownserhip limit, applying to registries and registrars, but also RSP
and resellers). But we believe that this rule does not solve all the problems.
We also support "functional separation" as an alternative (more than 15%
allowed if the registry/RSP does not act as registrar/reseller) for the same
TLD), but subject to market relevance (market power) caps. Beyond these general
rules, we favour exceptions for both "orphan TLDs and "SRSU, under certain
strict conditions. And, possibly, an individual exception procedure, where
applicants could reverse the presumtion of vertical separation also under
strict rules.

Amadeu