ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] JN2 summary in under 200 words

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] JN2 summary in under 200 words
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:31:25 -0400

I'd like to offer some edits to add some facts and remove some advocacy.
Thanks.  Jon

The JN2 Proposal is intended to permit cross ownership between registries and
registrars, as long as cross-owned entities are not in a position of
controlling the other or possessing a greater than 15% ownership interest in
the other. The JN2 proposal contains definitions of affiliation, which include
both ownership (> 15%) and control (direct or indirect) and allows exceptions
for single registrant TLDs, community TLDs and Orphan TLDs.  It restricts
Registry Operators and their affiliates from distributing names within the TLD
for which Registry Operator or its affiliate serves as the Registry Operator.
It allows registrars (and their affiliates) to be Registry Operators provided
they agree to not distribute names within a TLD for which they or their
affiliates serve as the Registry Operator.  Restrictions do not apply to
back-end registry service providers (RSPs) that do not control the policies,
pricing or selection of registrars.  After 18 months, any restricted RSP may
petition ICANN for a relaxation of those restrictions depending on a number of
factors.  Cross ownership limitations extend to registrar resellers for 18
months.  After that, market protections mechanisms must be in place.  Registry
Operators may select registrars based on objective criteria and may not
discriminate among the ones they select.

Thanks.

Jon