ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Fwd: DAG4 Summary for report

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Fwd: DAG4 Summary for report
  • From: "Thomas Barrett - EnCirca" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:05:57 -0400

Richard,

thanks for explanation.

tom

  _____

From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Richard Tindal
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 6:28 PM
To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks Tom.  Good suggestion.  It's all in Section 2.9 of the draft registry
agreement and in Module 1, Section 1.2.1.    I've included the relevant
sub-para in CAPS in the bullet list.

Regarding your comment on bullet #3.  You're suggesting the DAG may have
been worded poorly and created a loophole the staff/ Board didn't intend.
I think that's illogical for two reasons:

1.  Why would the document go to lengths to define 'Beneficial Ownership' if
their intent was to prohibit all forms of ownership above 2%?  It would have
been a simple matter to define the limit as 2% of any type of share.

2.  A unifying theme of the DAG4 language is the limiting of control between
registries and registrars.   Non-Beneficially Owned shares don't give
control  - which is why the DAG is OK with them.   For example,  you (a
registrar) and I (not a registrar) could go into 50/ 50 (say) joint venture
as a registry.     That would be permitted by the DAG as long as your shares
weren't voting and you couldn't make the decision to sell your shares.  I
would be making the business decisions and you would receive dividends per
our shareholder agreement.  If I decided to sell the business you could
derive the benefit from the sale of your shares - however you couldn't make
the decision to sell the business (in the DAG this is called "the power to
dispose, or to direct the disposition").  By the way,  we also couldn't have
a side arrangement or understanding --   as that is specifically prohibited
in Section 2.9b.

That's what the DAG4 says.   Having said all that,  I'm OK with us asking
the staff --   "Is it a correct interpretation that non-Beneficial Ownership
is permitted above 2% as long as control is not present?".

Regarding your comment on bullet #6.  I agree that clarity is needed on the
definition of Registry Services in the context of cross ownership rules.
You're arguing that only a registry can auction never-before-sold premium
names ,  therefore those auction services are a 'Registry Service'
(Specification 6 para 2d.).    This was also brought up with Kurt in
Brussels.

RT