ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:47:58 +0530

Dear Milton,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree Jeff E. that much of the discussion of harms has been vague and
> hypothetical. The problem with separating out “harms” discussion from the
> other discussions is that different proposals will have different “harm”
> trajectories, and different compliance measures might react to different
> proposals differently.
>

> E.g., if we allow vertical integration but “not in your own TLD” will that
> have exactly the same harm signature as VI in your own TLD?

This assumes that the degree of harm is inversely proportional to the
complexity of the framework of rules and restrictions. Such a mistaken
notion is challenged in the argument against vertical integration. So,
harm signature may not vary with "any TLD, but not yours" kind of
clauses and sub clauses.

 What would be
> the “harm” of VI and CO under a “market power” test as proposed by CAM? If
> we allow limited cross-ownership (say, 15%) will it have _exactly_ the same
> harm signature as 0% or 2%? I don’t see how the harms discussion can be
> detached from the analysis of specific proposals.

The same argument as above. The degree of harm is unrelated to the
percentage of ownership and control.

> And, as someone else pointed out, this discussion would have to be joined to
> compliance discussions as well.
>

> So it sounds to me like we are outsourcing the entire discussion. Lets
> abandon the idea of a special subgroup and just have that discussion here.

No, we are paying due attention to what ought to be attended to. I
feel that a sub group on harms is a very good idea. (And the idea is
to sub-task this topic within, not source out to a Consultancy !! )

Sivasubramanian M