ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:55:11 -0700

Jeff-

I respect you deeply but in my personal opinion I do not believe
you've made any compelling argument to not assess the harms.

I appreciate (if I understand you correctly) that you are saying very
few, if any, of us have experience with a vertically integrated
registry/registrar.

Many of us individually have experience with either a gTLD registry or
registrar, some both (though not simultaneously), and in my case I have
experience with both AND experience at more than one ccTLDs that were
vertically integrated.

That said I don't agree that such experience or lack thereof would
preclude a discussion (or even - lord help us - a poll) over the harms
and an assessment of which were the gnarliest or even real or not.

I believe everyone's opinion should be heard regardless of their
experience in operation of any of these entities, or even depth of
knowledge or education on the provisioning system.

Sure, we may hear things like 'my domain was taken' or 'too many ads'
or things that are potentially obtuse to our debate, but that helps us
set those aside or identify if they are worth addressing.

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes
+1.206-355-0230 tel
+1.206-201-6881 fax