ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Statement of Harms from initial and later revisited Vertical Separation

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Statement of Harms from initial and later revisited Vertical Separation
  • From: Jean Christophe VIGNES <jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 22:06:32 +0200

Unsurprisingly I do too!

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone 4

Le 6 sept. 2010 à 21:51, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
a écrit :

> I'd agree as well
>

> On 6 Sep 2010, at 19:29, Stephane Van Gelder wrote:
>

>> I am in full agreement with Volker here!
>>
>> Stéphane Van Gelder
>> Directeur général / General manager
>>
>> INDOM.com Noms de domaine / Domain names
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> Le 6 sept. 2010 à 19:32, Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit
>> :
>>

>>> Many proponents of a strict restriction against VI have voiced the opinion
>>> that such a restriction is necessary for now, but can be released once the
>>> new gTLDs have been introduced (rounds two and three). I must voice a
>>> strong opposition to this view as it would place the parties currently
>>> restricted into an even worse competitive position.
>>>
>>> Limiting the competition from registrars on the registry market completely,
>>> as is currently proposed by ICANN and RACK will prevent the registrar from
>>> getting a foot on the ground in this new market. If such policies are later
>>> revisited and removed, the registrar community will no longer be in a
>>> position to benefit from this review. Such a retroactive change of policy
>>> will only benefit those parties with market power, meaning the incumbent
>>> registrars and (gTLD) registry service providers while squeezing the
>>> registrar community in their own markets.
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons I have continued to state that effectively,
>>> there is only one round of gTLDs. A preliminary limitation, that is later
>>> removed when all parties realize it was not really necessary to implement
>>> VS, will do more harm to competition in the gTLD market than VI can ever do.
>>>
>>> Volker Greimann
>>

> Mr Michele Neylon
> Blacknight Solutions
> Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
> ICANN Accredited Registrar
> http://www.blacknight.com/
> http://blog.blacknight.com/
> http://blacknight.mobi/
> http://mneylon.tel
> Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
> US: 213-233-1612
> UK: 0844 484 9361
> Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
> Fax. +353 (0) 1 4811 763
> Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,Ireland  Company No.: 370845

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your system. You must not copy the message or disclose its
contents to anyone.

Think of the environment: don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.