ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Additional Harms

  • To: Berry Cobb <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Additional Harms
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:30:41 -0400

Barry,

Thanks for the reminder.

Waaaaay back in the trajectory of the VI WG I asked the co-chairs to ask Staff to dredge up Kurt's letter to CRAI that scoped their work which surprisingly resulted in a restricted, exploratory VI proposal, one which was pretty shocking at the time.

The co-chairs thought that was uninteresting, so I made the request myself, via a document disclosure request.

What I got back (surprisingly quickly) was Kurt's statement of work letter to CRAI, which contained an expression of concern.

At Ron Andruff's request I sent this to the VI list on June 2nd, with the subject line "Hedging the risk".

Here is the relevant portion:

"The registry contract prohibit cross-ownership (Language is simiar
to: the registry operator cannot secure ownership  directy or
indirecty  in more than 15% of a registrar). In the process to
estabish new TLDs there has been considerabe interest voiced by
registrars in appying for new TLDs. This interest is accompanied by
the beief that registrars will be able to "game" or "get around" the
separation requirement, i.e., the real parties in interest will be abe
to effectivey disguise their investment in various corporate structures."

Obviously this isn't a "list of harms". I've pointed out in several notes to the list that the approach taken by both Staff (unilateral contract modification power) and the Board (complete vertical separation) are not phrased as responses to lists of harms, but the elimination of the fundamental mechanisms that allow bad acts.

I can't be responsible for this "... I recall you mentioning that ICANN staff developed a list of potential harms ..." because I've never represented this as a list of harms. I've also pointed out that the absence of any list of harms is insufficient to make the Staff and Board choices arbitrary or unreasonable.

Eric