[gnso-vi-feb10] Board Resolution 2010.11.05.20
- To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board Resolution 2010.11.05.20
- From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:39:39 -0500
On seing this resolution by the Board, I am not sure what more the VI WG could
do. The Board seem to have chosen from the VI WG smorgasbord quite well. And
someday, if we see abuses, the GNSO can open a new PDP.
Resolved, (2010.11.05.02), the Board directs the CEO to include the following
principles relating to registry-registrar cross-ownership in the forthcoming
version of the Applicant Guidebook.
• ICANN will not restrict cross-ownership between registries and
registrars. Registry operators are defined as the registry operator and all
other relevant parties relating to the registry services.
• Registry agreements will include requirements and restrictions on any
inappropriate or abusive conduct arising out of registry-registrar cross
ownership, including without limitations provisions protecting against:
• misuse of data; or
• violations of a registry code of conduct;
• These provisions may be enhanced by additional enforcement mechanisms
such as the use of self-auditing requirements, and the use of graduated
sanctions up to and including contractual termination and punitive damages.
• ICANN will permit existing registry operators to transition to the
new form of registry agreement, except that additional conditions may be
necessary and appropriate to address particular circumstances of established
• ICANN will have the ability to refer issues to relevant competition
• ICANN will have the ability to address possible abuses that may arise
out of registry-registrar cross-ownership through the consensus policy process.