ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] ICANN Board VI Resolution

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] ICANN Board VI Resolution
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:15:20 -0500

Hello All,

I have been rather quiet over the past couple of months since Team Mixed
Martial Arts produced the CAMv3 proposal. Reading the press release from
last night I was pleasantly surprised that it appears that the Board
actually incorporated a lot of the CAMv3 proposal into its final
recommendation: robust auditing (check); graduated sanctions (aka CAM's
three strike sanction program); and referral to competition authorities. In
fact the Board was perhaps more favorable of the CAMv3 proposal than S&W.

Overall this has proven to be one of the more interesting WGs I have
participated in over my 11 year ICANN career. However, it really highlights
a fundamental problem for ICANN, i.e. making decisions that have significant
economic impact on market participants with diametrically opposed positions,
as consensus can never be achieved. This is a conundrum for a "consensus
based" organization.

While I personally am not dissatisfied with the Board' resolution, the ICANN
Board and staff owe the community more than just that press release,
resolution and pending Applicant Guidebook text. The Affirmation of
Commitments is clear and unequivocal "ICANN commits to perform and publish
analyses of the positive and negative effects of its decisions on the
public, including any financial impact on the public, and the positive or
negative impact (if any) on the systemic security, stability and resiliency
of the DNS."

Now while it may seem odd for a person that was on the winning side of a
debate to hold ICANN accountable to this standard, I know there will be a
time in the not to distant future where I will be on the losing side and I
will want the "published analysis." What is good for the goose is good for
the gander.

Thanks again for an interesting couple of months and thousands of emails
that have filled my inbox.

Best regards,

Michael