ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tierney letter to Strickland, via Dengate-Thrush

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tierney letter to Strickland, via Dengate-Thrush
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 04:08:06 -0400

The most pointed part of the letter pertains exclusively to TLDs that are under
price caps, since there are certain kinds of gaming/discrimination that
economic theory suggests can take place when an established gTLD moves into the
registrar business under price capping.

Yes, Richard, on new entities proposing new TLDs, the letter is confusing.
First, because they will not be under price caps; second, because as Richard
suggests it is hard to conceive of a new TLD having market power, except
perhaps when it is owned by a large incumbent with market power. To be honest
(although this is not a very flattering interpretation) I got the impression
that Tierney of DoJ had marching orders to raise issues designed to delay the
program even when the substance of their objections was not that serious.

--MM