ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wg-guidelines]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Role of WG Chair and conflic of internest

  • To: gnso-wg-guidelines@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Role of WG Chair and conflic of internest
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 18:17:03 -0500

To the GNSO Council and to the ICANN Board,

In reference to the role of the Chair of a WG, I believe that the role of Chair
and membership in the GNSO Council, or any other chartering body, are
incompatible except as an interim solution at the start of a WG or as an
emergency when a WG Chair has been lost.

The role of the GNSO Council is as managers of the process;  they are the ones
who must judge whether the work of the WG was done properly and whether the
consensus judgments made by its Chair have been made properly.  The GNSO
Council is for all intents and purposes, the WG Chair's boss.

It is a conflict of interest, and inappropriate, for the WG Chair to be
responsible for deciding whether her own work was done properly.  And while it
is possible for the WG Chair to recuse herself from any votes concerning the
actions of the WG, it is unrealistic to assume that in a council that is run,
hopefully, based on collegiality and the making of consensus agreement on many
issues, that the WG chair's viewpoints would not have an undue effect on the
judgment of other GNSO Council members.  This would also apply to any other
chartering organizations.

In the GNSO, WGs are often responsible for the most important decisions that
the GNSO makes, consensus policies that affect contractual conditions.  Beyond
the risk of conflict of interest, allowing a GNSO Council member to also chair
a WG, risks subjecting the decisions based on the WG's recommendations to legal
challenge.

Finally, the GNSO council, or any other chartering organization, has a liaison
on all WGs, whose job it is to act as an intermediary between the WG and the
GNSO Council, or other chartering organization.  To also have a Council member
acting as the Chair of the WG risks lessening the bottom-up nature of WG
deliberations.  A WG Chair sometime has a great influence over the work done in
a WG, to add to that influence the top down concerns of the Council risks
hurting the bottom-up nature of the process.

For these reasons, I recommend a paragraph be added to the Chair Role
description indicating that except in emergencies, and only as an interim
measure, Chartering Organization members, i.e. GNSO Council members, may not
serve as a WG Chair.

I should note that I was a member of the work team that produced this document,
and that I made this argument unsuccessfully in the group itself toward the end
of the process.  I did notify the group at the time that I would be making a
public comment on this issue.  I request that this comment be submitted as a
minority opinion with the recommendation itself.

Thank you

Avri Doria
Acting as an individual particpant

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>