ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

RE: [gnso-whois-study] WHOIS study group call Tuesday 8 April 2008 at 15:00 UTC]

  • To: "gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-whois-study] WHOIS study group call Tuesday 8 April 2008 at 15:00 UTC]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:37:24 -0700

All,

I was too ill to attend to the call this morning, so I've listened to it via mpeg delay.

There is a data collection policy element in EPP (rfc3730). It allows for the following to be stated by the data collecting entity (nominally a registry, or a registrar, or both, and possibly third-parties such as ICANN or an escrow provider) to the data providing entity (nominally a registrant):

the access type, the purpose type, the recipient type, the retention period, and the expiry type

The W3C's P3P Spec activity, which Lori Cranor chaired and to which I contributed (I get all the blame for how privacy policy is attached to http cookies), attempted to create a mechanism that would meet the needs of data collection within "data protection" jurisdictions (The EU, with all the nuances each member state's implementation of the data protection directives that attend), the OECD jurisdictions (Canada, Japan, etc) and the fabulously weak American jurisdiction, where privacy arises from contract (barely).

That's about all I have energy for today. I tried to put the mechanism into the provisioning protocol anticipating the problem of multiple jurisdictions and their associated policies.

Eric