ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-whois-study] my answers as I may leave earlier

• To: gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx, liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-study] my answers as I may leave earlier
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:59:44 +0200

Hi,

having read the docs for the meeting today, and not being sure to be able to stay until the end (urgent family issues to attend), I'd like to expose my answers to Liz's well structured documents and questions:

There are 2 main cases: registries that must abide to local data privacy laws and registries that do not (yet). I'm focusing here on the ones that must abide to local privacy laws as time is running against us. For the ones that do not (yet) have to comply, the same model might apply if they wish.

F1- Regardless of the fact that whois data may or may not be misused (1st category) we have the fact and the urgency that (category 2) data protection compliance is a must in certain countries and for certain registries. Then:

F2- certain ccTLD and gTLD are moving to comply with local laws (category 2), so different de facto standards on whois data access are being created (.uk, .fr, .tel, ...) and making difficult, as we speak, to get what categories 5 and 6 want to investigate.

F3- In addition, we may accept that in the same way phone customers may opt out of yellow pages and similar services (robinson lists, etc), registrants may also want to remove private data from whois public access. Registrants, paranoids or not, have the right to protect their privacy (privacy sense may be different in different parts of the world). This is also why certain registrars offer it (category 3). Whois data accuracy (category 7) is always an issue and it is another variable that does not influence the decision of whois data public/protected.

The proposed studies are indeed interesting and can yield insight on the market, issues, methods, etc, but wont fix the issue certain registries face. Some studies may provide data to fine tune the solution but won't help deciding if a registry can or cannot abide to local privacy laws; registries just must do it, it's the law !

These 3 forces described above may drive us to elaborate guidelines for a solution to that issue (rather than making more studies) that should:

G1- provide easy and fast access to all whois data to "all these that need to know" for law enforcement and/or IP protection, etc.

G2- help registries to easily adapt to local data privacy laws in such a way that grants item G1 above.

G3- allow individuals (registrants) to protect their privacy by allowing them to hide phone, fax, address, email) form public indiscriminate view if they wish.

All that can be achieved if, for instance (other methods an be equally good, but let me propose one just to move forward):

S1- registries and registrars continue to collect registrant's data as of today. Registrars just need to send to registries 2 more bits of info: Individual (Y/N) and Privacy (Y/N) when sending a registration request.

S2- ICANN acts as a central clearing house for any company or entity that "needs to access all Whois data in bulk and 24h/7d". Once endorsed by ICANN, they my get full and fast access to whois data as they are doing today. Registries could also do it, but ICANN may have a wider WW view and may deal with it, for instance, similarly to accredited registrars.

S3- Registries that are to adapt to local laws can set up a tiered access to all whois data. For instance: individual registrants decide whether sensible whois data (phone, address, email, ..) is or not public to all. Non individual registrants do not have this option and all their data is public to all.

S4- entities "that need to know", once cleared by ICANN, can get from registries the channel to access to all whois data, in particular, sensible data of individual registrants.

So only registries that are forced to adapt to local privacy laws are to implement whois tiered system. Registrars just need to send 2 more bits of info and ICANN may help coordinating the "accreditation" to all "these that need to know".

Proposal:
Instead of debating which studies seem more important, I'd rather work on understanding th main forces driving the issue and defining the guidelines that can help us to propose a solution.

Thanks for reading :-)
jordi

En/na GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ha escrit:

Dear All,

REMINDER:

There will be a WHOIS Study Group call today, Tuesday 15 April at 15:00 UTC,
that is: 08:00 PDT (California), 10:00 CDT (Cedar Rapids), 11:00 EDT
(Washington DC), 16:00 BST (London), 17:00 CEST (Brussels).

--
Jordi Iparraguirre
Fundació puntCAT
www.domini.cat

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy