ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

[gnso-whois-study] Note on studies in Hypothesis Area 1

  • To: <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-study] Note on studies in Hypothesis Area 1
  • From: "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:06:20 -0400

As discussed on our first call, here is my suggested guidance for
studies regarding Whois Misuse (Area 1)

The hypotheses in Area 1 generally regard "public access to Whois", but
there are distinct aspects of public access that should be measured
separately in any studies designed:

1) some registrars prevent automated email harvesting by allowing public
access to Whois registrant data only after the user deciphers a
"captcha" image.

2) registrants who use proxy registration or other privacy services
should be measured separately from those registrants whose actual
information is open for public access.

Tim Ruiz will surely improve upon this draft when he gets a chance to
review.

I also posted this to the wiki.

--Steve

Steve DelBianco