ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whoissurvey-dt]

RE: [gnso-whoissurvey-dt] RE: Draft Final Report

  • To: "'Berry Cobb'" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-whoissurvey-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whoissurvey-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-whoissurvey-dt] RE: Draft Final Report
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 22:05:45 +0000

Berry,

Thanks to you and all your colleagues who worked on preparing this draft.

My only comment is perhaps a belated reflection  of ambiguity in a couple of
the questions.  On page 17, I question whether the results " indicate that the
ability to search on attributes of WHOIS was not an important feature."  This
partly depends on how responses of 3 (on a 1-5 scale) are counted.  But more
significantly, the question itself gives only two examples - street name or
post code.  I have never heard of anyone seeking to identify all the
registrants who give an address on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC, which
is about 80 blocks long and runs through almost the entire city.  If the choice
had been "street address," that might have yielded a different result, since
there could be a reason to know which domain names had been registered by a
resident of 1600 Pennsylvania  Ave. NW.  I suggest this sentence be dropped.

Then a few pages later comes the statement, "over 53% respondents [sic]
indicated positive interest in advanced search options of WHOIS."  (p. 25).
This seems inconsistent with the foregoing.

Then comes the statement on the same page,  "the current searchable WHOIS meets
the need of over half of respondents requesting advanced search options."  But
this is deduced from the fact that these respondents indicated that domain name
was most important.  The problem is that searching by domain name is not an
the first sentence of section 4.7.  Domain name actually should not have been
included at all in the ranking question.  We would then be able to say which
additional options were the most cited.

My recommendation is to drop the first two sentences of the paragraph at the
bottom of page 25, and begin the next sentence "The additional search
capabilities most often requested were "Name Server," etc. " and end the
sentence "after Domain Name which, as noted above, is the only search
capability commonly made available by registries or registrars today."

I hope these comments are helpful, and thanks again for bringing this across
the finish line.

Steve Metalitz