ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

RE: [gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: Step 3a (In Progress) -- Summary of Group Rating Session 21 Dec 2009

  • To: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: Step 3a (In Progress) -- Summary of Group Rating Session 21 Dec 2009
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:02:52 -0500

Thank you very much Ken for the great summary and also for your
excellent work. And thanks to everyone else for the great cooperation.

I am going to comment on just one thing, the definition of value.  I
doing my ratings as well as in doing the exercise yesterday, I found
that the applicability of a project to the GNSO in comparison to the
entire Internet community became an important factor. My reasoning was
as follows: the reason for prioritizing our work is to decide how we
will use scarce resources; if one project has little value to the GNSO
community and another one has high value to the GNSO community, I favor
using GNSO resources for the latter.  Therefore, I think we should
revisit our definition of Value/Benefit.  Value to the entire Internet
community is still important but I think we should also consider value
to the more narrow GNSO community as well.

The Geo Regions WG is the project that caused me to come to this
opinion.  It's important for the GNSO to be involved in the WG and it
will have some impact on us, but nearly as much as it will the ccNSO.
The value to the entire community is fairly high but the value to the
GNSO is not so high, so if we have to choose between projects, it
doesn't make sense to ignore the GNSO value.

Chuck