ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: "Red Team" Idea

  • To: <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: "Red Team" Idea
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:35:34 -0500

WPM-DT Members:

I have been thinking about Adrian?s suggestion and Olga?s question
concerning how we might take advantage of the ?Red Team? concept.

According to ?Red
<http://www.isaca.org/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=30762&TEMPLATE=/Co
ntentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm>  Teams: An Audit Tool, Technique and
Methodology for Information Assurance,? the typical functions of such teams
are to:

·         Provide a surrogate adversary to "sharpen skills, expose
vulnerabilities that adversaries might exploit and increase the
understanding of the options and responses available to adversaries and
competitors." The red team may accomplish this by emulating the adversary.

·         Play "devil's advocate." The red team can offer different
alternatives to current plans, operations, processes and assumptions.

·         Offer sources of judgment that are external to the organization
and act as a "sounding board" for new ideas that may arise from red team
engagements

Thus far, our first product is a two-dimensional rating approach (still in
development/test phase), but there may be others as we begin tackling how
the resultant charts/graphs can be used for project prioritization -- the
ultimate goal.   Although we are making excellent progress, we are still
some distance from drafting a complete package that can be recommended to
the Council.

Once we reach that end-state, it might be useful to subject the ultimate
solution set to an exhaustive independent test just before going ?live.?
We have seen in our own testing that it is through exercising the processes
that we have uncovered potential defects (e.g. adding project acronyms
instead of sequence numbers; definition for Y to include GNSO more
specifically).   Since the WPM-DT has been intellectually close to the
development from the outset, it is possible that we have overlooked certain
fundamental elements that might cause problems in production.   One way to
minimize that eventuality is to bring in another set of objective evaluators
(or Red Team) and ask them to execute the entire rating/prioritization
process -- start to finish -- as laid out.   By exercising the methodology
in this way, a Red Team could offer a fresh perspective including asking
naïve questions and probing the underlying rationale in ways that might not
have been adequately challenged.

Following the above outline, when the time is right, we might ask Adrian to
lead a small group (size will depend on the ultimate solution) to actually
perform the entire set of procedures that are packaged into the final
recommendation.   The Red Team can check to ensure that the DT?s original
goals have been met and that the process:

·         is user-friendly, unambiguous, and straightforward to execute;

·         produces realistic outputs that will enable the Council to make
effective prioritization decisions; and

·         is structured not only as a one-time exercise, but considers the
inclusion of new projects as they are proposed in the future.

In addition, other potential evaluative questions might include:

·         Are the objectives clear?  Have we satisfactorily answered the
obvious question, ?Why are we doing this activity??

·         Does the process make sense in terms of the leading to the stated
objectives?

·         Does the methodology require accepting any assumptions that have
not been disclosed?

·         Are the instructions, guidelines, and definitions clear and
sensible?

·         If tools are provided, do they work as described?

·         Others?

To summarize, once the DT has reached closure on a final Work Prioritization
Model and recommendation, it could engage Adrian (and others?) to provide a
neutral and objective critique -- ?emulating the adversary? -- or, in this
case, simulating how other GNSO Councilors might react to and interact with
the final proposed solution.

Regards,

Ken Bour