ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] FW: WPM-DT: Summary of 7 January 2010 Teleconference (Step 5-In Progress)

  • To: <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] FW: WPM-DT: Summary of 7 January 2010 Teleconference (Step 5-In Progress)
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:14:13 -0500

RESEND.  Same error as last time.

Ken

From: Ken Bour [mailto:kenbour@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:19 PM
To: gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: WPM-DT: Summary of 7 January 2010 Teleconference (Step 5-In
Progress)

WPM-DT Members:

As a result of our call today, the following is a summary of key actions and
decisions:

1)      We agreed to work on both the Y and X axis definitions via the email
list.    I changed the title of the X axis to "Resources Needed" (per
Chuck's suggestion) and attempted to capture my understanding of how the
definitions might be amended - submitted for confirmation or further
refinement by the team.

Y - Value/Benefit . this dimension relates to perceptions of overall value
and benefit primarily for the GNSO, but also considering ICANN's
stakeholders and the global Internet community.  Components of this
dimension may include, but are not limited to:  new opportunities for
Internet growth/expansion, enhanced competitiveness, resolution/improvement
of serious performance or infrastructure problems, increased
security/stability, and improved user experience.

X - Resources Needed . this dimension relates to perceptions of total human
capital expenditure anticipated and also includes such factors as complexity
(e.g. technical), intricacy (e.g. many moving parts to coordinate), lack of
cohesion (e.g. many competing interests), length of time/energy expected;
availability/scarcity of resources -- all of which contribute to the total
resource consumption and overall cost (economic and otherwise) required to
develop a recommendation.  [Note:  for projects already in progress,
estimates include only those resources remaining from the point of
assessment through to completion of the final recommendation; prior
historical/sunk resources are not factored into this dimension].

2)      Attached is a revised GNSO WPM Projects & Short Descriptions
document (now KBv3) in which I attempted to incorporate changes the team
discussed (see page 2).   I altered Table 1's title from "Active Projects"
to "Prioritized Projects" and Table 2 from "Removed Projects" to
"Non-Prioritized Projects."   Although not exactly what was discussed on the
call, I hope that this nomenclature is in keeping with the team's wishes.
You will also note that, instead of single letters, I am suggesting the use
of a longer word/fragment as the category indicator.   In that regard, I
changed "I" to "Pending," "X" to "Inactive," and added a new category called
"Implem."    I also inserted placeholders for three Implementation projects
that were briefly discussed.   We should probably add short descriptions and
confirm the abbreviations.   For your convenience, I copied/pasted the new
category descriptions (page 2) below:

"The following projects were removed from the original list by the Drafting
Team for one of four reasons (ref. "Category" column), but will be
maintained in Table 2 so that the team does not lose track of them:

1)      Community Pending ("Pending"):  the work effort has been put on hold
status and is waiting on or pending another action (e.g. Staff report) or
decision (e.g. Council motion) and is not currently consuming community
resources.

2)      Monitor Only ("Monitor"):  the work effort is not fundamentally
prioritized by the Council, but it does maintain an interest from an
informational perspective (Note: also includes liaison activities).

3)      Not a GNSO Project ("Inactive"):  the work effort is not or not yet
a GNSO initiative and cannot be properly evaluated (ranked/rated) and
prioritized by the Council.

4)      Implementation Phase ("Implem"):  the work effort has completed the
recommendation phase, has been approved, and is ready to begin or has
already started implementation.  While such projects are not consuming large
amounts of community resources, the Council needs to understand the impact
on Staff as it considers the adoption of new project work within the GNSO. "

3)      We also discussed creating parameters around what it means to be a
"Prioritized Project."   Ken submits the following language for
consideration:

For the purposes of GNSO Work Prioritization, a Prioritized Project is
defined to be one that is initiated by a GNSO Council decision to commit
GNSO resources with the expectation that such efforts will impact the
community's overall work capacity sufficient to warrant its relative
placement among all other GNSO prioritized projects.    Examples of projects
that would be included under this definition include, but are not limited
to:  policy development initiatives and requests made by the Board (e.g.
GNSO Improvements) and/or other SO/AC.   For these purposes, a Prioritized
Project commences when chartered or otherwise commissioned by the GNSO
Council and terminates when the resulting Working Group or team delivers its
final output(s)/recommendation(s).

For next week's session (TBD-Doodle coming), I suggest that we continue
where we left off on the agenda.  Items remaining:

1)      Two-dimensional model and definitions for X and Y:

a)      Ken posted modified definitions to the email list.any further
changes?

b)     Should Y and X be rated by DIFFERENT parties to avoid
cross-correlation between X and Y?

2)      Ratings scale 1-7 from Far Below Average to Far Above Average:

a)      Is the team still OK with the 7 point scale for both dimensions?

3)      Individual vs. Group Ratings:

a)      What is the team's assessment of the pros/cons between individual
vs. group ratings?

b)     If we recommend group sessions, would we recommend that Councilors
struggle to complete individual ratings first?   Would they be submitted and
analyzed for commonality as we did in our test?

c)      If group ratings are recommended, what sizes and configurations
would the team recommend?

d)     Should this WPM-DT perform another sequence of tests using smaller
groups (e.g. 2 or 3)?

Considerations from my previous email summary:

.         After having rated all 15 projects both individually and in one
large group (of 5), what new information might be learned by breaking into
smaller groups of 2-3?

.         What, if any, criteria, should be applied in constructing small
groups?   For example:  (a) experience/knowledge (pairing senior Councilor
with new member); (b) heterogeneous or homogeneous by Constituency and/or
SG; (c) contracted party vs. non-contracted; . others?

.         If small groups are constructed, should they be facilitated by
Staff using an Adobe Connect room or should individuals get together
independently to discuss and agree upon ratings to be submitted (e.g. using
form similar to the one provided earlier for individual ratings)?

e)      Should GNSO Council rating sessions be facilitated (by Staff?) using
Adobe Connect with polling feature?

Assuming no further changes to the testing process after this step, the team
could then focus on HOW (Step 6) it might utilize the data in terms of
developing a prioritization (the ultimate goal of this effort).

If there is anything else that I might do in preparation for next week's
session or beyond, please let me know.

Regards,

Ken Bour