ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] Thoughts About Step 6 (In Progress)

  • To: <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] Thoughts About Step 6 (In Progress)
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:32:10 -0500

WPM Team Members:

I apologize for the lateness and length of these ensuing notes, but I have
been struggling with how to facilitate and assist the team given the
discussion that took place during our last session on 2 February 2010.

I will try to summarize where I think we are and offer a few thoughts that
have finally congealed in my mind over the last couple of days.

The 4-Quadrant Model:  Value/Benefit vs. Resources Needed

In our last teleconference, we spent most of the time talking about various
issues that were contained in the paper I wrote (29 Jan 2010) concerning how
to derive a prioritized list from the two-dimensional model that rates
Value/Benefit (Y) against Resources Needed (X).

Because we used identical scales for both X and Y, I argued that, at least
arithmetically, we end up with ambivalence between Quadrants 2 (High Value,
Low Resources) and Quadrant 3 (Low Value, High Resources).  I acknowledged
that team members might interpret these two dimensions as unequal and,
indeed, during our last discussion, everyone seemed to agree that
Value/Benefit is, indeed, more important to the model than Resources Needed.
That acknowledgement raised a question as to how we might weight
Value/Benefit so that it would be the dominant or primary factor in deriving
a prioritization.

A second element in our discussion was how to provide more granularity in
the model so that projects within a quadrant, for example, might be
discretely ranked.

One suggestion was to independently rank the 15 projects by Value/Benefit
and Resources Needed, then place them on a chart/graph.  As team members
will recall, we considered ranking both variables (from 1 to n) early in our
deliberations and, because of its perceived difficulty, chose instead to
rate them using a 7-point scale.  We could go back and try an ordinal
ranking process; however, I still believe that we will end up with a similar
problem in that Value and Resources would still be on par with each other
relatively.  Said another way, how would we determine that a project ranked
14 (out of 15) on Resources should be prioritized lower than one ranked 14
(out of 15) on Value?  To make Value/Benefit worth more in the model, we
would have to come up with a weighting system such as I proposed in my
paper.  As I attempt to explain in the material that follows, I am not
recommending that we head down that path.

Given the difficulty of assessing Resources Needed and its high correlation
to Value/Benefit (statistically and psychologically), the team began to
consider alternatives for that variable while retaining a two dimensional
construct.  One idea was to map Urgency against Value, perhaps as a first
step, followed by a second one that would incorporate Resources Needed
[Note: how that might be done was not fleshed out and, in my mind, is not
trivial since it potentially adds a 3rd dimension to the model and, thereby,
increasing its complexity].

As promised, Jaime sent me a paper he authored concerning the inherent
difficulties in relating Urgency to Importance (or Value) in a model.
Although the following synopsis does not do adequate justice to Jaime's
entire article, I think it captures the salient points for our purposes:

(1)         Definition:  Urgency relates to matters of impending time
(deadlines/dates) while Importance should signify only value.

(2)         For a variety of reasons (e.g. anxiety/dread, sense of
gain/loss, perceived/real consequences, varying interpretations of
deadlines), people have an exceptionally difficult time evaluating Urgency
and Importance independently from each other, which results in a similar
cross-correlation problem that we have already seen between Value and
Resources (or Cost); therefore,

(3)         To utilize Urgency in a meaningful way, it should be objectively
(vs. subjectively) determined.

After pondering Jaime's persuasive arguments concerning Urgency, I find
myself in complete agreement; furthermore, I think there are additional
challenges with the use of this dimension.

The first challenge is:  Accepting Jaime's thesis as legitimate, how would
we determine Urgency on an objective basis?  In my 18 months' experience at
ICANN, I have not seen many actual dates imposed and, for projects that
do/did have deadlines, they are/were almost always missed (and not
renegotiated formally).  Such a reality would cause most, if not all, of our
projects to be rated "Not Urgent."  If that result were obtained, how would
it help our prioritization task?  We already have 12 out of 15 projects
rated 4 or higher on Value/Benefit; thus, we would likely have an even
tighter bunching of projects than we have at present.

I conveyed the above thought to Jaime who wrote back, "Your provoking
thoughts made me advance that Fatal Deadlines are practical and real, often
related to linked events (a decision, the signing of a contract, etc) and
not to dates.  So, we should ask, for each of our projects, if there is a
linked event after which the work would be pointless or would lose much of
its value.  If this is not the case, I agree with you that assessing urgency
would not add anything and would be a loss of time."

Perhaps we can take up the question that Jaime raises as to whether we can
objectively identify an EVENT (vs. date) for each project that, once it
occurs, would render the projects valueless.  If that is possible, we still
have the challenge of assigning it some numerical or rating significance.
For example, a project that is approaching one fatal event must still be
rated higher/lower on Urgency than another one facing a different fatal
event.  If the events have dates associated with them, the one closest could
have the higher rating; but, if the events are tied to other phenomena (not
date-sensitive), as Jaime hypothesizes, how would we choose between them
without resorting to value, importance, or consequences?

A second challenge is that I think of Urgency as being more of an OUTCOME of
the prioritization process than an INPUT to it.  If the GNSO Council is to
become the "Manager" of the Policy Development Process, shouldn't one of its
responsibilities be the establishment and continual reevaluation of
dates/deadlines and, thereby, Urgency - based on a project's overall
priority?  Given that few, if any, deadlines are established from outside
ICANN (I consider the Board "inside"), they are largely treated as
self-imposed and somewhat arbitrary.  As a result, perhaps the Council
should step into the managerial role of not only prioritizing the work, but
also establishing when results are needed.

Thoughts About How to Proceed?

Based upon the foregoing discussion, I suggest that the team not introduce
the concept of Urgency into the model.  After deeper consideration, I do not
think that it will add any new information and would likely leave us in a
similar position that we find ourselves with the current model - unable to
derive a useful prioritization.

Secondly, I suggest that the team consider dropping the 4-quadrant model and
simplifying the prioritization process to just a single dimension:
Value/Benefit.  Once all projects have been prioritized based on their
overall value to ICANN/GNSO, then a set of management questions should be
undertaken that include, but are not limited to:

(1)         Which projects should have dates/deadlines imposed, thus
establishing urgency?  Can any real consequences be identified (or
manufactured) that will cause the dates to be perceived and treated as
critical/urgent?

(2)         Which projects should have resources assigned including types,
skills, and quantities?

(3)         Which projects, if any, should be accelerated, stopped, or
postponed?

Another reason that I think we should drop Resources Needed from the model
is that we defined it to include both Staff and Community.  In order to make
effective priority decisions (e.g. do this instead of that), there must be
real capacity constraints which make it impractical, if not impossible, to
simultaneously work on ALL projects that are identified.  Although the level
of Community involvement is admittedly not infinite, I cannot think of any
way to reasonably constrain it.  Arguably, there are thousands of Internet
users connected to ICANN in one way or another through its various
stakeholder groups.  If one were considering only Community volunteers (and
not Staff for the present), on what basis would one decline a 16th or 17th
or 25th project?  We acknowledge that existing volunteers are stretched
thin, which recognition led to this team being formed, but should we
consider that resource pool fixed and, if so, how would we assess its total
capacity?  On the other hand, if there is always the possibility of
involving more people, then the amount of work to be undertaken should
dictate the number of resources recruited and not the other way around.

Having teased out the above conclusion, I do think that there is a resource
constraint that is measurable - Staff!  If one accepts the practical reality
that no project can be undertaken in the ICANN Community without Staff
involvement, then Staff resources (quantifiably fixed in the short run)
present a real and measurable constraint to how much work can be actively
pursued within the GNSO.  If a new project comes up and all existing Staff
resources (including consultants) are maximally engaged with no slack
capacity, then that project cannot be initiated until a management
re-prioritization decision is made.

I'm not sure if I have made a convincing case; but, as I see it, the
Resources Needed problem can be simplified to consider only the GNSO Policy
Staff, which then functions as the effective capacity limiter to total GNSO
project workload.  Given this understanding, one way to proceed might be as
follows:

1)      The Council prioritizes all projects on a one-dimensional basis
considering Value/Importance/Benefit/Criticality as related to ICANN/GNSO's
overall mission.  Prioritizations should be recalibrated on a periodic basis
(e.g. quarterly?) to reflect the dynamics inherent in this environment.

2)      Once all projects are prioritized, the Council actively "manages"
the workload considering such factors as deadlines, Staff resource
availability, and consequences.  It commissions and de-commissions teams as
necessary to effectively utilize the aggregate resource pool to achieve its
goals and objectives.

3)      To facilitate its management responsibilities, projects should be
documented and tracked on an on-going basis using a feature-rich web-based
application (several open source options available) that will assign Staff
and Community resources to projects/tasks complete with time tracking and
collaborative toolsets (e.g. integrated blogs, wikis, calendar, document
repositories) that enable work to be performed efficiently, effectively, and
transparently.

To achieve the prioritization in Step 1 above, we could utilize our
Value/Benefit definition and the 7-point scale as already tested.  For
example, using our Delphi-based ratings for Y only, the following
prioritization would emerge:

Project

Value

Rank

STI

6.0

1

WG

6.0

1

PDP

6.0

1

RAA

6.0

1

JIG

5.0

5

CCT

5.0

5

GCOT

5.0

5

IRD

5.0

5

CSG

5.0

5

IDNF

4.0

10

PED

4.0

10

ABUS

4.0

10

IRTB

3.5

13

GEO

2.0

14

TRAV

2.0

14

There are several tied positions in the above ranking; however, if it were
determined by the Council that the GNSO could only handle 12 projects,
hypothetically, then IDNF, PED, and ABUS (all tied at 10th) would have to be
evaluated as a small group to decide which one joins IRTB, GEO, and TRAV to
be stopped or postponed.  That tie-break could be accomplished by using a
simple majority vote.

If you managed to read this far, I thank you for your forbearance and
likewise apologize for the length of this treatise.  This prioritization
task represents a complex problem set and I am trying to offer it as much
considered thought, including supporting rationale, as I can manage.

I look forward to our session tomorrow and, of course, any feedback that you
may have in the meantime.

Ken Bour