ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-amend-15feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

R Tindal comments

  • To: gtld-amend-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: R Tindal comments
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 00:15:32 +1100

The current (COM/ NET/ORG/ BIZ/ INFO etc) contracts have effective mechanisms
for change on issues that are inside the picket fence, or covered by Consensus
or Temporary policies.  These mechanisms should be retained for new TLDs.

The more complex problem is desired changes that cannot be adequately addressed
by Consensus or Temporary policies.   These changes will typically be more
administrative in nature - but some may have a significant impact on ICANN -
e.g. registry fees.

I understand the desire of Staff to achieve efficiency and timeliness in such
changes, but on balance I think the unpredictability and risk to registries and
their customers dictates that any change mechanism for new TLDs must  be
intrinsically conservative (difficult to unilaterally impose on registries).
 On balance, I prefer the mechanism proposed by the Registry Constituency at
the Washington DC consultation in January this year.  Namely, a good faith
negotiation every three years to effect changes.

Thank you for your consideration of these comments

Richard Tindal

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>