ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Issues with "sunrise" and "landrush"

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Issues with "sunrise" and "landrush"
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:44:04 +1000

Hello All,

One of the issues raised by Kiyoshi Tsuru at the meeting in Wellington
was considering how to scale the sunrise/landrush process when a new TLD
starts.   Each gTLD operator in the 2000 and 2004 rounds has used a
different approach to sunrise and landrush.  There is now substantial
experience in the registry and registrar community but often new
operators don't necessarily take advantage of this expertise.

If we introduce more TLDs,it would be useful to have a standardised
approach that minimises the cost for registrants and suppliers.

Attached is an example of a submission from one Registrar, GoDaddy, that
might stimulate some thinking on this topic.

I recommend we consider setting up a small working group to consider
some approaches to this as part of the new policy on new TLDs relating
to contractual conditions (which currently often include sunrise
processes).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin