ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Monday 4 Sept - USA/Canada public holiday

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Monday 4 Sept - USA/Canada public holiday
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:07:19 -0400

I don't believe it is realistic to hold two face to face meetings/with as
much overlap as exists, on the two PDPs, in the August and Sept. time
frames. I don't believe it is possible to hold a meeting in late August,
given the Labor Day holiday. Labor Day is a much beloved 'last summer'
holiday that often has families traveling back from beach houses, spending
the four day week end, etc. so asking people to give up the early part of
the holiday -- e.g. Sept. 1,2.3 {for travel] makes Labor day a conflict for
many in North America.

For instance, two separate meetings means that the TF members pay to fund
two 3 day trips, in a 60 day period, and spend up to 6-7 days, including
travel.
That is a large commitment, in addition to constituency work; online work,
conf. calls, etc.

Can we consolidate the two meetings; put them back to back, and cut them
down at least for travel cots and time? And avoid Labor Day week end.

I understand that means a challenge to you, Bruce. I've taken that into
account as I have analyzed the costs of two trips, financially and time
wise, for TF participants.

I am not comfortable that there is ICNAN funding for the policy work/travel,
so it is 'my money" I am talking about spending, and even if I were spending
ICANN's money, I have to be judicious about two trips/time, etc.

Regards, Marilyn Cade