ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] GNSO PDP Dec 05: Registry Constituency Comments

  • To: "'Liz Williams'" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] GNSO PDP Dec 05: Registry Constituency Comments
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:38:48 -0400

Why am I seeing late postings from a constituency and not late postings from
all others? I can't tell if there were postings that missed the deadline,
but the deadline was 18th; this is dated 25 August.

Flexibility has to be equally extended to anyone interested, IF we have
extended a deadline to a constituency, then all parties have to have equal
flexibility and a notice that we are open to their comments and extend the
deadline.
I checked the public forum list and didn't see this posted. That doesn't
seem like the open and transparent and balanced approach that the GNSO and
therefore its TF have to follow to be considered legitimate.

I favor flexibility and trying to accommodate late postings, but we have to
have equal openness for the community as we have for constituencies.

I am not sure how the community will receive the staff recommendation that
we ignore the deadline provided, in favor of a constituency, however well
meaning this was. It is a question to the TF to decide on whether to accept
postings that are several days late. I may support such flexibility, but I
will support equal flexibility, IF the decision is flexibility.

I'm also a little concerned that I am getting lists, and not sophisticated
analysis. How can I demand quality analysis on material submitted not hours
but days after the deadline?

So, how to address this and ensure that the community has equal flexibility
as constituencies... we can discuss this at our public meeting and be on the
record on our guidance to staff for addressing this and any future
situations.

I already note that the policy development process is starved for resources
versus the commitment to resources for outreach in the operational plan and
budget. Council, working with the V.P. of Policy, needs to focus on support
to those limited resources that we have. Having a constituency be several
days late in posting is challenging.

I am sure this is quality information and useful; but really, for a
constituency to be days late, not hours late, and not to advise the TF that
they need an extension is very challenging to their peers, who have all
sought to meet the deadline.

Marilyn Cade