ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [council] Re: [gtld-council] Outcome of discussion on string checks on Wed 30 Aug in Amsterdam

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] Re: [gtld-council] Outcome of discussion on string checks on Wed 30 Aug in Amsterdam
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:32:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Bruce,

thanks for the clarification, and indeed, I confirm that beyond the
notion of "typo-confusion" I actually implied "visual confusion". I'm
not sure we really need to address the fact that a user could type a
key instead of another one that is in the same area on the keyboard.
That micro-management approach would lead us really too far,
considering each letter that already appears in existing gTLD (and in
others to come), and the characters that surround it on the QWERTY,
the AZERTY, the QWERTZ, etc. keyboards???

So yes, correcting myself, I was thinking to "visually confusing", or
as Ross proposed "typographically similar".

> I prefer the more general "confusingly similar" as this has
> precedence with use in distinguishing trademarks and there is some
> experience in the community

That's not really the point, but as you said yourself later on in
your reply to Ross, rather:

> I think the point was that the term may be "broadly" understood.  >
Of course different legal frameworks probably have different
> interpretations.

"Broadly understood" also leads to misinterpretations as we all know
from the Council experience. Then the questions are: is the practice
(or "precedence") you're referring to - which is related to
trademarks - fully valid for domain names? and has that practice
produced any clear definition (understanding and agreement in the
community) as to what is "confusingly similar"? If there is such a
thing, then we need to restate it in our final document so that it's
clear what we're referring to. But if the answer to any of those
questions is "no", then ICANN should be allowed to "re-invente the
wheel" here, or rather, this is not exactly about "re-inventing the
wheel" (using your words), but about making a relevant policy where
there was lack of policy.

In conclusion, I agree with you when you write:

"We are essentially dealing with a security issue that results when
strings look sufficiently similar to cause significant confusion
amongst the general public - mainly from a visual perspective.   If
there is another way of wording this then please suggest appropriate
wording."

and would support any additional texts that could help clarify
whatever needs to be clarified.

Mawaki