ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Information for Consideration from Michael Palage

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Information for Consideration from Michael Palage
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:24:48 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: michael@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:michael@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 22 February 2007 2:25 PM
To: Bruce Tonkin
Subject: Information for Consideration

ICANN's former General Counsel, Louis Touton, has already written
correspondence to the GAC in connection with trademark protection in a
top-level domain, see
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-tarmizi-10feb03.htm

In this correspondence there are links to policies from both the United
States and United Kingdom's Trademark Offices regarding the trademark
protection in TLDs.

As I believe we recognized today, notwithstanding the recognitions of
trademarks rights in a TLD string, that should not prevent a third party
dispute provider from employing a confusingly similar test.

Hope these historical documents help advance the groups discussion.