ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Options regarding ICANN staff responsibility with respect to string criteria

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Options regarding ICANN staff responsibility with respect to string criteria
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:04:27 -0800

Agreed, thx.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Gomes, Chuck [mailto:cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:51 AM Pacific Standard Time
To:     Bruce Tonkin; gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:     John Jeffrey; Kurt Pritz; Dan Halloran; Maher, David
Subject:        RE: [gtld-council] Options regarding ICANN staff responsibility
with respect to string criteria

Regarding "ii)  Strings should not infringe the existing legal rights of
others consistent with international law, recognising that the applicant
may have rights or legitimate interests in respect of the string", David
Maher shared some thoughts and made a suggestion on the RyC mailing list
that I think are helpful and he gave me permission to pass them on.

Quoting from David:

"As I said during the meeting, this invocation of "international law"
does not make sense.  There is no "international law" of trademarks, for
example. There are a very small number of subjects where there is a body
of international law enforceable, through treaties, by national courts
(or more rarely by truly international courts), but these subjects
are not those likely to affect DNS strings (e.g. genocide). What the
group may be struggling to say is something along the lines of: "the
existing legal rights of others that are recognized or enforceable under
generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law".
This would cover, for example, the situation of "confusingly similar"
trademarks. "Confusingly similar" is not a principle of international
law. It is a principle of the trademark laws of nearly every nation, and
is recognized globally."

It seems to me that David's suggested rewording makes good sense.

Chuck Gomes