ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] An (optimistic) timeline diagram for the new gTLDs process (PDP and launch cycles)

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gtld-council] An (optimistic) timeline diagram for the new gTLDs process (PDP and launch cycles)
  • From: "Werner Staub (CORE)" <werner.staub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:30:51 +0100

Dear all,

As it is sometime easier to discuss abstract issues with a visual reference, I spent some time drawing a diagram showing timelines in the context of the various policy documents and reports that are being produced.

The diagram is of course just my own, optimistic view. It displays the launch cycles based on my credo that there *must* always be firm start date for the cycle after next. This is necessary to avoid "last-TLD-round-before-the-desert" syndrome, which unfortunately has characterized the previous TLD launches. This syndrome leads to badly prepared applications, work overload for ICANN, and avoidable conflicts. If applicants get a credible option to postpone an application, they can to the their homework properly, and the TLD evaluation work can be spread smoothly over time.

The cycles should start at approximately 6 months' intervals. A follow-on cycle one year later would be too far away to be credible.

Another element of interpretation is the 4-month waiting period prior to the start of the first cycle. The purpose of this waiting period is to make it clear to all parties that the new TLD cycle starts. This can be done on the basis of the draft RFP. The final RFP and specialized terms of reference can be completed during the 4-month period. I thus showed the ICANN board decision on the diagram as being based on the propose next two cycles' start dates and he draft RFP.

Based on that, is still possible for the PDP to come to fruition within two years (Q4 2005 PDP start, Q4 start of first application cycle).

Regards,

Werner
--
---