ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:35:43 -0700 (PDT)

Bruce,

I'm afraid the following is a bit too abstract to determine.

Ie now is not
> the best
> time to introduce a new point, but it is appropriate to
> suggest edits
> that are consistent with the discussions held within the new
> gTLD
> committee.

Scenario: A point is made in a committee session, heard, and
somewhat considered (a few seconds or dozens of sec.), then
quickly pushed aside because there was no other participant
supports it.
i) Is that a point that has been "discussed" by the committee?
ii) or is that a "new point"?

Either way, what are the proponent's options if she believes
that the point is important (e.g., not just for the sake of her
constituency but for broader policy goals)? In case of positive
answer to either i) or ii) when and where is it appropriate to
take that up, if it is believed that the issue need
further/substantial consideration before recommendation?

Also, I'm wondering if there are any useful steps to ensure that
the clarifications you provide, when deemed sufficient, make it
to the the implementation plan. You may set up a policy with
some intentions and have it later on implemented in a totally
different direction while conforming to the letter (without
changing a word, of course.)

Those were just formal observations to your response to the
points made by Robin; I didn't intend to address their substance
here.

Thanks,

Mawaki