ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:07:11 -0400

What questions would we want answered from these experts?  This should
not be an opportunity for advocacy of some experts' opinions about our
recommendations as much as it should be obtaining expert opinion
regarding unresolved issues we have.  Therefore, I strongly feel that we
should have well developed questions for them.

Can it be expected that the suggested experts would provide unbiased
opinions or do they favor the viewpoints of particular constituencies?
I do not have a problem with the latter as long as we know what their
biases are and as long as we provide for input from experts who hold
different view points.

Finally, if we do decide that additional expert consultation is needed,
I see absolutely no reason to delay other work while that happens.  I
believe we have plenty to do that would not be dependent on any expert
opinions we might obtain.

Chuck Gomes